Thursday, May 9, 2013

Experiment in Terror series by Karina Halle

Experiment in Terror series by Karina Halle 


 

 
 
 


My Rating: 8 out 5 Freaking-Creepy Stars.


***I'll be doing a review of Book 1 to 6 in one post, but I'll try to avoid including major spoilers.

Darkhouse (Experiment in Terror, #1)
Red Fox (Experiment in Terror, #2)
The Benson (Experiment in Terror, #2.5)
Dead Sky Morning (Experiment in Terror, #3)
Lying Season (Experiment in Terror, #4)
On Demon Wings (Experiment in Terror, #5)
Old Blood (Experiment in Terror, #5.5)
The Dex-Files (Experiment in Terror, #5.7) 
Into the Hollow (Experiment in Terror, #6) 
And With Madness Comes the Light (Experiment in Terror, #6.5)


I just finish reading book one to six excluding 5.7 and 6.5, I'm not planning to read those two anytime soon( but knowing me I might change my mind and read those two over the weekend). I badly wanted to start reading a new book without horror or suspense theme in it since reading this series made me all kinds of paranoid lol. I wasn't even planning to read this series yet, but I keep on seeing Darkhouse on my goodreads update wall, and upon checking I saw high ratings and decided to read the first book, and the second, and the third until I find myself reading "Into the Hollow" which is the last main book available of the series( Book seven will be out next month..I think)..yeah, so much of me planning to read just the first book, who am I kidding? So here's the not-so-summary of "Darkhouse" from the Goodreads:


With all the vampire, werewolf and faerie books out there, it's easy to become numb to all things supernatural. The antidote? Darkhouse introduces two real and unforgettable characters, Perry Palomino & Dex Foray, amateur ghost hunters who are "attractive, relatable and oddly heroic," "flawed but loveable," "slightly crazy" and just the most endearing pair to ever tackle the paranormal...just don't call them normal.

Darkhouse is a thrilling and sexy new take on concepts like Supernatural and The X-Files, bringing a breath of fresh air to a genre that has been inundated with the dead.***Darkhouse and the Experiment in Terror series is a horror/romance for mature audiences only. Readers who are easily offended by harsh language should think twice about reading it.***


My Thoughts:


When I finish reading the first book or Darkhouse, I thought that it's not really scary contrary to the reviews I've read, or  maybe unconsciously I did not let myself really get into it for me not to be scared. But as I read book after book, the story keeps on getting better and scarier. I  did not realize how affected I was till I decided to take a short break and get some coffee... so when I was in the kitchen making some coffee, I didn't realize my mom is already awake so when she suddenly spoke to me, I freaked-out and let a not so small scream lol. That's the thing with scary books, you'll never know how effective it is until you finish reading it, let it all sink in and then you'll suddenly remember all the scary parts. Just like watching horror movies, while watching you'll scream and all but that's just it.. not until you decided to sleep, then you'll remember the movie and that's when you get really paranoid and scared..


Every book in the series was scarier than the last but when I started reading book 3 which is
Dead Sky Morning, I definitely reach a different kind of scared and paranoid, it doesn't really help that I sleep in the morning and read at night, Perry and Dex visits a tiny, fog-shrouded island and let's not forget... isolated during that time. The Island history itself is enough to make all the hair on the back of my neck stand. The Island in the present was converted into some sort of a park, people go camp in the day but only a few dare to spend their nights in the island. Given a chance, I'll will definitely not spend even 30 minutes of my life in an island where back in the day.. it was an island full of leper, that was left to rot, die and bury each other *shudder. Lots of creepy and scary-I-might-just-pee-my-pants-moments happens in Dead Sky Morning..earning a 6/5 creepy stars.


Lying Season, the forth book in the series... even-though not as intense as Dead Sky Morning when it comes to scaring the crap out of me, includes lots of scary moments but this book focuses more into Perry and Dex, their situation, feelings and etc. A lot of things happens here that will lead the next book, On Demon Wings to become what it is..Scarier than all the past book combined.



On Demon Wings (5th book), I can't even describe how freaked-out, scared out of my wits and extremely paranoid I am during and after reading this. It's like re-watching reading Exorcism of Emily Rose but more, everything is fucked-up, even the minor characters, it's like Perry can't trust everyone.. I was scared because of what's happening but more than that, I was scared because I'm no longer sure whom Perry should trust anymore. I think that On Demon Wings, so far is the scariest of all the books in this series..I'm kind of expecting a nightmare tonight from this book alone.



Old Blood, book 5.5 tells us the story of "Creepy Clown Lady", the old Creepy lady who keeps on showing herself to Perry, giving her cryptic messages. Aside from Creepy Clown Lady, we also get to see a glimpse of Dex life as a child.

Into the Hollow, the 6th book in the series. I thought that this book is one of the least scary books in the series or maybe I just reach my limit of being scared, I'm so scared from reading the 5th book, that I kinda get numb and all lol. Even-though I didn't get scared-out-my-wits-scared from reading this doesn't mean that this book is not good, honestly.. the story as always is good if not better and involves lots of scary situations. But unlike the previous one, were dealing a sort of an animal..nah a monster here, with physical body and all so..I was not that scared which if it's real I should be, because this monster/s is really dangerous, the killing-type dangerous.


The 7th book which is Come Alive, will be out this coming june....



No comments:

Post a Comment